Sunday, June 29, 2014

Day 43

Safari, safari!

We planned a trip to a playground in Arusha today for all of the children at the orphanage. When we arrived this morning to pick them up, they were bouncing off the walls with excitement. Trips (or safaris as they refer to them) are extra special occasions that don't happen very often. We filled two vans, and I'm fairly certain each volunteer had at least two children on their lap. 

We packed peanut butter sandwiches and bananas for lunch and spent almost 4 hours there. Even the little ones who were unsure at first ended up having a great time. 
 This is Shujaa. He's one of my favorites, but technically we aren't allowed to have any favorites, so don't tell anyone. This morning while holding him he put his hand on my cheek and said, "Umependeza" (which is the equivalent of 'you look pretty'). Um, melt my heart!

All of the kiddos are truly so sweet and adorable. Their laughter is contagious and they all have the brightest, little smiles. Today marks the half way point of my stay in Africa. How am I ever going to be able to say goodbye?

XOXO,
Amanda

0 comments :

Post a Comment