Friday, June 6, 2014

Day 20

TGIF!

Ali and I went to the hospital this morning and (good news!) we were told they were doing patient outreach today. They seemed certain they wouldn't mind us both squishing into the back seat of the car, but I wasn't convinced. Judging from my experience last week I knew the back seat would not hold a fourth person, there was just no way. I did enjoy tea and mandazi with everyone before they left though. Mandazi is fried bread and tastes similar to a donut. And in case you weren't already aware, it's National Donut Day. How fitting!

We went to Tanz-Hands for lunch and I had a delicious falafel and hummus sandwich as well as a cup of fruit. There are lots of different fruits that can be bought here, but very few are sold at the produce stands in our village. Fresh mangoes, so yummy!
Also, this juice. New favorite!
The past three weeks each of us have taken turns cooking dinner for the entire group. Ashley made a stir fry with rice, Ali made mchuzi, and Chelsea made vegetable noodle soup. Tonight, I made everyone french toast! Not the easiest task in our kitchen, considering we have no griddle. Only one slice of toast could be cooking at a time, but I made it happen! Syrup is way too expensive, so we opted for other toppings instead: peanut butter, bananas, and cinnamon sugar. 
Sending all of my thoughts and prayers to those at SPU. Just another reminder that life is truly a precious gift. I love and miss everyone back home dearly!

XOXO,
Amanda


0 comments :

Post a Comment