Monday, June 2, 2014

Day 16

Sunshine, karibu!

Karibu means welcome, and it's looking like the rains may have finally left for good (knock on wood...). We had another beautiful day today! I finally took some pictures of the compound where I am living.

This is what you see when you enter through the front gate:
(The door staight ahead all the way at the end is my room!)
Volunteer lounge, office, and classroom:
Volunteer lounge:
Office:
Classroom (for Swahili lessons!):
Bedrooms:
It was another eventful afternoon at the orphanage. Baraka, the ring leader of trouble that I posted a picture of on Day 14, somehow stole the keys to the classroom, let himself and a few others in, and then proceeded to lock the door behind them. They all thought it was funny until we went and got a Mama. No one left the classroom with a smile on their face. You'll also be happy to know I've mastered the cloth diaper! 

We had chips mayai again for dinner, but this time it was homemade! I think I've had my share for the next month. So delicious, but so filling. 

And how could I forget, we also watched The Bachelorette tonight. Actually, it was more like a private viewing party in the office. Why must bad reality tv be so good? 
Dad, I know what you're thinking, but I promise my brain has not turned to mush. Not yet at least. 
XOXO,
Amanda

1 comments :

  1. Thanks for the pictures of your home away from home. It looks quite nice. Dad laughed when he read about what you said that your brain has not turned to mush yet by watching The Bachelorette. He said the same thing to me while I was watching it tonight. We need to SKYPE again soon. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete