Thursday, June 12, 2014

Day 26

We finally hiked!

It rained last night, as it has every night this past week. We knew the hike might be a little muddy but a little dirt never hurt! Frank and Godson, our driver and one of our guards, were our guides. We called it a hike, but really we walked the same paths and roads the locals use every single day just to reach their homes. 
This place is filled with so much beauty!
I also met the siafu ant, also known as the scariest gang of ants I have ever encountered. They have very large pincher's that they aren't afraid to use. I ended up with one on my leg and it made its presence known right away. A colony of these ants can range in to the millions! They can't outright kill a human, but they can eat one down to the bones.
Don't trust me? Look it up.

Coffee trees and a coffee bean! I know nothing about coffee, so it's not surprising I had no idea the beans are actually white and only gain their color after being roasted.
The route we took back down was different than the way we went up. It was a bit more slippery, and a lot more difficult navigate. Ali was the first to slip and fall, then Ashley. Chelsea and I made it back without falling, but just barely. Anyone we walked past couldn't help but laugh at our attempts to remain on our feet.
I also discovered Nike Frees are not the equivalent of a hiking boot.
(zero traction + mud = I just got lucky never falling)

XOXO,
Amanda

0 comments :

Post a Comment