Saturday, May 24, 2014

Day 7

My first day off was magical. 

We got brunch at another great restaurant called AfriCafe. Emma refers to it as the "mzungu watering hole". Rightfully so, it's mostly all white tourists who dine there, but for good reason! I had mango juice with a cheese omelet, toast, and home fries. My intention was to take a picture, but by the time I remembered all that was left was a slice of toast. Maybe next time, because there will definitely be a next time!

We spent the rest of the afternoon lounging by the pool. We went to The Arusha Hotel, paid 8,000 shillings, and spent 3 hours laying in the sun. Emma said she thinks it costs around $150 USD to stay there per night and it is considered one of the more upscale hotels here. 
 From front to back:
Ali - an intern and also one of my roommates in Boston
Chelsea - she is Ali's cousin and is here for 1 month
Myself :)
Emma - the volunteer coordinator who is from England
Victoria - a volunteer from Denmark
___________________________________________

I was sure I was going to end up having PB&J for dinner, when Ashley (the marketing and advertisement intern) surprised us by making dinner for everyone! She made a vegetable stir fry over rice. I also learned that I don't hate eggplant. Another positive!
I wasn't exaggerating when I said today was magical. I feel so lucky to be surrounded by such wonderful people here!

XOXO,
Amanda

1 comments :

  1. so happy that you are able to relax and have fun as well. Looks like you girls had a great time. Now is the time to try new foods. I am glad you are surrounded by such a great bunch of girls
    Love Ant Debbie

    ReplyDelete