Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Day 11

Another rainy day.
Sunshine, please come back!

Ali and I were supposed to go with Dr. Bakari today on an outreach visit. We went to the hospital at 10, couldn't find Dr. Bakari, and were told by Nurse Sara to come back tomorrow. 

Instead I was able to go to the Tengeru Market, in Usa River, with the other volunteers and interns. It's an enormous market that's only open on Wednesday and Sunday. They had every single thing you could think of, from clothing and shoes to fresh fruits and vegetables. Everything except a can opener. Emma and I had a hilarious time trying to ask where to buy one. We didn't know how to say can opener in Swahili so we relied on charades and pictionary. Emma attempted to draw a can opener on cardboard but it wasn't pretty and more resembeled scissors. Have you ever tried to draw a can opener? It's not easy, and we never found one. I wanted to take pictures but in such a crowded market we already stuck out as it was, without the added attention of a camera. 

I spent the rest of the afternoon reading and working on my learning contract that's due on Friday. I figured out that I can charge my kindle by plugging it into computer. Duh, not sure why it took me so long to think of that! I'm back to reading Gone Girl. I made a list of all of the books I wanted to read this summer but I forgot it in Boston. Recommendations? I'd love any and all of them!
Tonight, we had another movie night. We all huddled around Emma's computer screen and watched P.S. I Love You. I feel more grateful for the girls here each new day! We may have already made plans for a reunion in 2015, in Ireland, on St. Patricks Day.

XOXO, 
Amanda

0 comments :

Post a Comment