Friday, May 30, 2014

Day 13

I am completely overflowing with gratitude and appreciation. 

I was finally able to join the doctors on an outing today! I went with the head doctor, Dr. Bakari, and two nurses to visit one new and one existing patient, as well a group of community health workers. The day was long , but looking back on it now, I wouldn't change a thing. We drove and drove, and drove some more, until finally reaching our destination in what felt like the middle of nowhere Tanzania. It was the most beautiful middle of nowhere I have ever seen! The drive, which was primary along a bumpy, dirt road, was lined on both sides with fields of corn stalks and sunflowers. I also caught my first glimpse of Mt. Kilimanjaro! (By the way, the hospital driver is by far the best driver in all of Africa. He followed the speed limit AND slowed down for speed bumps. I was never once afraid!)
I think it has finally set in that this is where I will be living for three months. It's felt a little like a vacation up until now, but today that changed. I didn't really realize just how amazing this opportunity is. I am living in Africa! That is so cool and today I couldn't be any happier!

XOXO,
Amanda

P.S. I found a way to get pictures from my camera onto my computer. There's been a place to insert my memory card all along. Technology is not my friend.

0 comments :

Post a Comment