Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Day 4

It's already day 4??

For breakfast, we went to a cafe called Tanz-Hands. All of their profits go to support the Usa River Rehabilitation and Training Center for disabled individuals. In Tanzania, it's very difficult to live with a disability. There is no aid from the state and families with a disabled child may even keep them hidden away from fear of judgement or shaming. It was a good feeling knowing my money was going to support such a great organization, not to mention my breakfast this morning was delicious! They also sell milkshakes, baked goods, and have free wifi. I know where I will be spending my days off!

To get there, I experienced for the first time a dala dala (sounds exactly like dolla dolla). It's a huge part of their public transportation system and the equivalent of a city bus. They closely resemble a Volkswagen van, but somehow manage to fit around 25 people. It's not uncommon to have someone sitting on your lap! Today I managed to avoid that, for now. They also use piki pikis (peekey peekeys), which are motorbikes but I refuse to take them.

This afternoon at the orphanage was absolute chaos. I got there just as the children were waking up from their naps and all the little ones needed a diaper change and to be fed! I am (slowly) getting better at the cloth diaper thing, but it still takes me forever. They all have so much energy that I leave there completely exhausted. I'm working the early morning shift tomorrow from 6:00-9:00am. That means waking the children, bathing them, dressing them, and feeding them breakfast before getting them off to school! I am seriously questioning how that is even possible.   

We cooked our first dinner in the communal kitchen tonight and I'm already dreading another meal of pasta. It's time to get creative with my cooking. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome! 
Tomorrow I'm also meeting with the head doctor at the hospital and the palliative care team to find out more about the project I'll be working on while I'm here this summer. I can't wait to get started! 

XOXO,
Amanda 

1 comments :

  1. So exciting..sounds like so much fun. Do you need a cookbook?
    Love Ant Debbie

    ReplyDelete