Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Day 3

I'm exhausted and it's only 8:00pm. 

This morning began with a formal introduction to the orphanage. Because I was there from 9-12, the older children were at school so I spent time with the younger ones under the age of 2. I learned how to change a cloth diaper, which it turns out is much more difficult than changing a disposable diaper! And also way more disgusting. 

After Swahili lessons, Ali and I accompanied Rehema, our Swahili teacher, to an outreach visit at Mama Rosa's home. Mama Rosa works at the Pilot House (also a part of The Small Things), which is where the older children ages 5-8 live. Mama Rosa has asked The Small Things for a loan and it was  part of Rehema's job to visit, take pictures, and find out if this request is actually needed.

Mama Rosa lives with her husband and three children in a two bedroom "house". I use the word house lightly because really it's just a roof over their head. They want a loan so they can start saving and build a real house! Their house was about the size of my bedroom back home. They all sleep in the same room; Mama Rosa, her husband, and their three children ages 8, 5, and 9 months. We walked from the volunteer compound to their house and it took about 30 minutes to get there. The walk there was almost entirely uphill on an unpaved, gravelly road. It was an extremely eye opening experience, which I am sure will not be the last.
The view on the walk there was absolutely gorgeous though, so I didn't really mind it!
For dinner, I tried kiti moto and can very condifently say I will never try it again. We picked out our pork ribs and about thirty minutes later they brought it to us cooked. I ate a few pieces and sincerely gave it a chance, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. 
XOXO,
Amanda

P.S. I'm sorry if the picture quality is horrible. I forgot the cord for my camera and can't upload any of those pictures to my computer. I'm now relying on my iPhone for any pictures I want to include in my blog!

1 comments :

  1. what an awesome experience you are having.
    Love ya Ant Debbie

    ReplyDelete